Thread: Guild Leveling?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 05:26 AM   #19
Warhead

When I read the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was the concept of guilds/clans gaining levels, like players (I've played on a MUD where clans gained levels).

As far as guilds having levelling areas, I strongly disagree with this.

First, I think that it, in the long run, will create lethargy in the members of the guild(s).  Because if I have my own levelling area that I can't be interrupted or PK'd in, why would I want to go out and explore the rest of the world?

Second, on an RP MUD, how many guilds are going to actually undertake a project of "cultivating" mobs for slaughter? Such a project would be extremely time consuming, and a logistical nightmare for the guild.  If you allow the option, it should come with some considerable upkeep costs.

Third, while I can understand the logic of a "training ground", I don't see how that translates to killing mobiles.  I could understand having some "training" mobiles, for improving skills and such, but this type of training should be of the non-lethal type.

I'm from the PK world, and when members of guilds/clans are in their guild halls or restricted levelling areas, doing whatever, they're not out in the real world, exposing themselves to PK.  I understand that the RP world is different, but I think that having guild only levelling areas will hurt the overall interaction of players on a MUD, regardless of the MUD's format.