View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
And your guess is wrong. I'm an ancient historian who was at one time a biology major long ago and well-versed on the definition of both ether and aether. I was commenting on the over-use of the word aether attached to every term (aetherspace, aethership, aethermanse, etc). There's no reason it need be. One may drive an automobile, but they don't drive it on an autohighway while sitting in the autoseat and steering with the autowheel and listening to the autoradio to drown out the sound of the autoengine which is louder than it should be because the automuffler isn't functioning properly. The terms don't have to all use the same prefix even if related to the same activity. Repitition of that degree is annoying to read. Made all the worse is the fact that you're using a word that utilizes a double-vowel like "ae" which some don't always know how to pronounce (yeah, shouldn't be difficult, I agree, but language comprehension skills in this country suck).

While only a small sample, I polled five people (all MUDders) and four agreed that the use of the prefix "aether" before every term was not only unnecessary but annoying. One of them thanked me for saying something because they were on the verge of doing the same. The term "aether" itself is a good term to use, but there's simply no reason that it has to be attached to every related word.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote