View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Lasher
Administrator

Name: Derek
Lasher has a spectacular aura aboutLasher has a spectacular aura about
Re: Abandoned Realms, 2x Exp Weekend!

I am waiting for access to the AR forum to post this there. Reposting here and in the other AR thread so there is no more confusion.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I owe Abandoned Realms a full apology and reinstatement of their position in the TMS rankings. I won't name names, but the MUD we had an issue with huge proxy voting last month was not Abandoned Realms, it was another MUD with a very similar ID. The reason you were given so little benefit of the doubt this month was on the basis of that flawed premise. Dumb mistake and while it's little comfort to you now, you can be sure that I will check and double check the next time this happens.

I did in fact receive an email from Sarapis asking me to check your rankings as the numbers seemed suspicious based on player count. This happens quite often and is not malicious. Usually I login to the MUD in question and see they are really pushing hard on the voting, there are a lot more players then their seems based on visibility, etc and their vote numbers are plausible. After hanging out some on AR myself and reviewing your stats I believe that is the case here. Also note that Sarapis played a significant part in identifying my mistake, so please hold no bad feelings towards him.

This mistake and situation is all mine, not trying to pass blame at all. However, just a thought for if you find yourself in a similar situation with another site or service at some point - decide who is going to communicate with them. I received email from 6 different AR imms, none of them copying the other, each telling me how lame the site is anyway while at the same time asking to be reinstated. Either way, there is no good excuse for what happened here and I am going to post this same note on TMS.

Finally, I understand Davarius was mad and may or may not have meant some of the things he posted in our forum. If you see any value in a TMS banner ad at all, I am prepared to run one for you for 3 months free of charge.

Sincerely,
Lasher
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote