Thread: $ Info, le Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #53
truthfulthomas

truthfulthomas is on a distinguished road
[Edited to clean up a couple of typos --tt]
Any visitors to this site who do something more than just vote for their MUD and leave are potentially worthwhile to any of the MUDs who advertise or have themselves listed in the database here. It's a basic of advertising, pretty much all exposure is good exposure.

Based on what? Your own personal opinions of Achaea? I have no idea what percentage of visitors to this site do anything more than vote and leave, but if it is even a relatively small percentage, that will still result in a respectable level of free advertising for all the MUDs listed on this site. And I don't really know any reason why someone coming here because they were offered and incentive to do so would be less likely to browse around than someone coming because their MUD admin said, "Hey, two more votes and we'll be number 12!" In fact, if, as has been argued elsewhere, such incentives skew results because it leads players to vote for a MUD they might not otherwise feel that strongly about, then it could be argued that such visitors are, if anything, more likely to be in the mood to browse around for another MUD.

I'm not sure what the logic is behind your assumptions here. By unethical MUDs, I assume you mean MUDs with unethical administrators. How exactly does that reflect on the players that come here to vote for said MUD? How does that reflect on their likelihood to check out and perhaps begin playing someone else's MUD?

Like most such "simple" definitions, however, this one is arbitrary to the point of being useless. There is a significant difference, from the perspective of the potential customer at least, between a commercial MUD which has a business model built around monthly fees and one which has a model built around only paying for extras.  There is a significant difference between a MUD where you can pay for extras that can only be had by paying and a MUD where you can pay for extras but those extras can also be earned without paying for them.  Different schemes will appeal to different players.  For example, I don't have much time to play MUDs these days, so I would be very unlikely to ever play a MUD with a monthly fee simply because I don't feel I would get my money's worth out of it.  I would, however, be willing to give MUDs with one-time fees or pay-for-extras plans a chance.  If the site is going to provide any information on the pay status of the MUDs listed here, I'd rather it actually be something useful.
truthfulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote