View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Thagrahn

Name: William
Thagrahn is on a distinguished road
Re: How to start making my very own MUD?

I'e seen a few different things about Building your own MUD, and before I event start thinking about weather or not I want to start my own MUD, I have a few things I want to get answers for.

1. In room quadrant and coordinate system for setting the relative location of things in the room.

2. Being able to use the quadrant and coordinate system in the room to determine how long it takes for a PC or NPC to move through the room. This would allow a more realistic movement through rooms instead of going through rooms at the speed of entering the directions.

3. Being able to use the quadrant and coordinate system in each room to create smooth transitions in the terrain. So if there is water flowing from a spring in one room, and the water passes through several rooms before reaching a lake, the water all flows in the correct direction.

4. Ranged weapons with limited ammo, and reloading. It's not very realistic to be able to fire a musket, shot a heavy crossbow, loose a longbow, and swing a sword all at the same speed round after round.

5. Stealth, hiding, attacking while hidden, and moving without being detected (Only the people who detected you would event get a posting of you entering the room) and precision based damage for a successful attack while hidden.

6. Being able to attack with ranged weapons into rooms that can be seen from the room you are in. (Two rooms maximum)

7. Crafting. Let's face it, that's a lot to cover on it's own.

8. Giving the character a reasonable carrying capacity based on strength, and adding the weight of what a character is carrying/wearing to the characters weight (Usually based on size and race) to determine if another character can lift/carry/drag the body. (Such as in Kidnapping, or trying to bring the body to a temple for healing or resurrection)

9. Allowing multiple ways for weapons to be wielded, letting the Player choose how to wield a weapon based on how it can be, and letting player choose is a shield is to be used as a weapon.

10. How to set up the character creation; Races, templates, classes, modifying stats, setting initial stats, setting initial skills based on class/race/template/stats, setting up the character creation process, preventing the use of vulgar or offensive character names.

Until I can understand enough about the working and coding of MUDs to have a solid understanding of how these things should and could work in a MUD. I don't want to event waist my time thinking about trying to create my own MUD event though I do like the Idea of having a Custom MUD based on my own ideas.

So basically, if you don't event have a clue as to what you need to learn to create the MUD your thinking of, Focusing on making your own MUD will just cause you heart-ache and lost time. So if your new to developing MUDs, do your self a favor and put building your own MUD at the bottom of your list, and finding a MUD tutor at the top. To build your own MUD, you have a lot to learn, and a nice large community of people who have already seen success and failure to learn from.
Thagrahn is offline   Reply With Quote