Thread: $ Info, le Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 03:12 AM   #46
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
It would be rather unreasonable to expect a P2P mud to share parts of their code, wouldn't it? After all, they make money on their concept, so why give it out for free? That would be like expecting a big drug company to publish the exact recipe for the latest product that they just spent X years and Y $ to develop and are now planning to finally make a profit from.

However, this does not mean that they cannot add to the 'community' in different ways, by taking part in the Board discussions and sharing their experiences. Many of the P2P administrators that post here strike me as mature and vocal persons, who often have interesting angles to different subjects. After all, they do run a successful business, and there are several experiences in this process that they could share with the rest of us, without exposing any trade secrets.

For example, one topic, where I'd like some input from the P2Ps is the subject 'problem players'. We all get them, and I suspect the P2P muds get them to an even larger extent, since most Twinks seem to be attracted by high numbers. So, how do you treat those players when they actually have paid a fee to populate your mud, and are not just undesirable houseguests that can be evicted at the host's free will?

And there are other subjects, many having to do with handling large playerbases, large staffs etc., that would be interesting from an Admin point of view, and where the P2P admins most likely can add new angles to the discussions.

And another thing, there's nothing to stop you from drawing inspiration from their 'cool' features either, you just need to figure out how to code them yourself. I freely admit that some of the features in my own muds are based on things in a couple of P2P muds that I tested out to see what they were like. I saw the feature, thought, 'Hey, that IS cool!' and went right back and introduced it in my own mud. In both cases it took 5 minutes to add, so it wasn't all that hard... *snicker*
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote