View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #19
Fiendish

Fiendish is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

One of the more recently developed features of MUSHclient that has since won me over from being a long time zMUD user is the ability to draw graphics directly to the screen.
It's detailed here:

Also, Nick's clear willingness to keep improving MUSHclient after giving it away for free and releasing all the source is a quality that is hard to find elsewhere.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The heartbeat of a MUD is irrelevant. What matters in terms of trigger activation is the connection speed. Most MUDs can send text very rapidly in large chunks. If I receive 1000 lines in a second, it doesn't matter that the lines all came from a single pulse. Furthermore, the extent of what you might want to do with a script doesn't need to stop at sending strings back and forth to the MUD. You might want to, for example, animate global maps. That sort of activity becomes visibly affected by client parse and redraw times unless certain actions are taken in the client.

If you think that speed doesn't matter then you either don't have an eye for detail, are hampered by an underperforming MUD server, or are just thinking too small. Possibly a combination of the three. Any of these mean you have lower expectations for script fluidity and power than I do.

Last edited by Fiendish : 10-25-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Fiendish is offline   Reply With Quote