View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

Actually, Fizban, it's very difficult to argue that considering I have personally written every single NIMScript to date and thus have plenty of evidence to the contrary. I would not say it's less work.

The things the scripts allow are multiple ways of 'getting to' the things that were once basic MUD features, but they can involve event-based activities. Also, they provide rudimentary logic and random variation.

In fact, it merely moves the "spec_fun", C hardcode world to soft code, decreasing overall reliability and increasing performance requirements (albeit slight).

Yes, in part, to open it up, but not really: many scripters don't have the extensive background necessary to undertake doing it on their own, and thus need training and guidance which I also provide. So, while it has yielded better gaming rewards, it has not really been less work at all.

The one place where it really pays off is when you want to create many variations on one theme. For instance, let's say you had a generic fireball script and you wanted to make many different strengths of fireballs as separate spells, that would be fairly easy to do. Maybe you just think of it as an offensive spell like fireball, then you can make a bunch of fireball like spells with different timed emotes and different potencies very quickly.

Another example is the Pirates part of The Isles. It is fairly easy to create 5 similar adventuring ships based on the first ship. You can just make one ship perfectly, and then use it as a template to make the other 4 ship adventures, swapping in and out different parts to make them different (such as the captain's name, the ship's name, or the types of random encounters and their chance of happening).

Last edited by locke : 03-11-2009 at 04:30 PM.
locke is offline   Reply With Quote