When I make a character, I firstly make a list of things about them including:
- How they act to certain races/gender/classes
- How they became to live in the game
- Why they became what they have
- What they look like
- Hobbies/things they enjoy doing
and finally
- Any mannerisms they will do constantly/habits/sayings

Personally, I don't play the hero. I play the scaredy cat female that needs saving every other minute.
I also try to stick to the stereotypical race traits rather than making an orc that enjoys the company of humans... As if!
It's fine making your character unique, but I've seen this sort of thing far too much; UU (Unbelievable Uniqueness).
For an example, I know of a half-orc that claims his human mother was raped by an orc raiding party and yet continues to try and live in harmony with both races. Then you get the intelligent trolls.. How on earth would that occur? Think back to your childhood when you were read "The Billy Goats Gruff" before bed. That's how a troll should act, and if I saw one, I'd grab an ancient to give them a load of RPP as an award for being "realistic"!
I've actually found that less and less people are playing the stereotypical characters and their "unique" and "different from others" characters aren't so different anymore. If you want to be different, play the races how they're imagined to be! Far less people do that, which I've seen. The stereotypical ogres, orcs and trolls have become practically extinct. This is a shame. What's a fantasy world without the dumb, half-wit creatures?

Straying from the norm for a race might be interesting for you, but what are the other players going to think about the way your character acts?
GoatLady is offline   Reply With Quote