View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #92
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
I think the problems with RPI's (for lack of any other fitting term, and it differs from and RP I, just so we're all talking about apples, rather than apples and oranges) as a commercial venture as nothing to do with quality rp, and everything to do with a) permadeath and b) no visible xp or levels. Gamers (again we can argue semantics, but I think we all understand what I mean) like levels. They want to be able to numerically measure their progress. No levels is a hard sell to that market. But commercially there are no options for players who don't enjoy the numbers game. Some of them find non-commercial games. Some opt to just go ahead and read, rather than play games.

The RPers who will like the lack of levels are likely to be the most resistant to permanent death. They're more likely to be emotionally invested in their pcs. I think once they've lost a couple of characters and see that the game is still fun, in fact, some would argue more fun, get past their resistance. But retaining them through that learning curve is, yes, unattractively problematic for those thinking about sinking money into a project.

I don't think just because Matt is the most commercially successful member of this particular community he has some obligation to make all our dreams come true. Likely, with his lack of enthusiasm he would be the wrong person. But this is an venue that could be successful commercially in the right hands.

To summarize, Matt says RPIs are not commercially viable. I'd argue that they are, but not for Iron Realms. For someone with capital, vision and passion for RPIs I think there is money to be made. After all, tanning salons and yoga clothing are also niche, but profitablem if not as wide-spread in appeal as a McDonalds franchise. It's a matter of creating a good product, funding it through its early stages, and marketing it well. If I had the capital, I'd do it.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote