View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 03:56 AM   #15
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
mudnutx, please spare us the commustic bullcrap.

America is about providing OPPORTUNITY for people. It is each person's duty to take advantage of that opportunity to provide for him or herself (and his or her family). You get equality of opportunity, not equality of result. The result is up to you.

The Statue of Liberty says nothing about taking care of the poor. It says, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" so that they can come here, in a land of opportunity, and make something of themselves. It does not say "give me your lazy, incompetent, unwilling to work losers so the hard working people here can take care of them." I already have children. I don't need the responsibility of taking care of anyone else just because they happen to be poor. That isn't my responsibility. To the degree that I am willing and able to help others financially, I do (every year, through donations of both my time and my money), but that should be absolutely and completely MY CHOICE- not someone else's choice, and sure as heck not the government's choice. America crushes the rest of the world in charitable giving, so apparently this works pretty well.

No country in the world even comes close to approaching the charitable giving of Americans in any disaster- whether it takes place in our own country or abroad. So kindly stuff any of your absurd blather about Americans not helping the disadvantaged (particularly during a disaster).

Finally, acting like people do not have a right to decide when and where to give THEIR money that THEY worked for is simply outrageous. Where do you get off telling other people when and where they should donate THEIR money? This will not be the only cause or the only problem ever that needs financial generosity from people. If someone has concerns about the possible misuse of their money, they should not donate it. They should donate it to a cause they feel more strongly about. There will be an enormous amount of money donated for this tragedy (I have personally donated as have other members of my family). But that was my personal choice and nobody has a right to tell me if it was a good or bad decision, just as nobody has a right to tell someone else if their decision NOT to donate money was good or bad.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote