View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #37
Cyre

Cyre is on a distinguished road
While it's irresponsible within the context of the discussion to single out a solitary aspect of the experiences presented within a MUD, I find it equally distasteful to avoid a well phrased conjecture. To that end, I'll not only respond to your inquiry, I'll explain why I view it as inappropriate.

As concerns the system through which the majority of profit is made for IRE, then Number 2 applies without dispute. The combat system is undoubtedly skewed by the ability of certain players to purchase large upgrades in character statistics, ability rank, and various other components that allow for easier combat. That being said, you can ask any serious combatant from any of the IRE realms, and they will tell you near without fail that pure talent trumps advantages gained through the various perks up for sale. I would still hold that purchases CAN and WILL tilt the balance between two otherwise equally talented combatants, but the divide is not unbreachable.

However.

Your claim that in accepting the above, I must also accept the idea that failing to purchase perks automatically relegates an individual to second-class status within the community, is patently absurd. I know of several individuals who have served at the highest level of political office having NEVER made a purchase. I know others who have made astounding reputations for themselves through magnificent roleplaying and storytelling prowess that also never made purchases. And these individuals are not exceptions to the rule. They are simply cases that come to mind.

Of course, you can avoid this quandary by taking the shallow view that combat is all that is important to the realm. And certainly there are individuals out there who hold such truths to be self evident and all that jazz. But if, and I hope this is true, you are deep enough of a player to understand that there is far more to social standing and "game experience" than the ability to kill, then you, my friend, must accept that your own arguments are both incomplete and, ultimately, invalid.

I enjoy the realm, as do thousands of others. We don't all buy credits, but we all seem to keep coming back.

Explain that.
Cyre is offline   Reply With Quote