View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 06:37 PM   #28
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
For Kung Fu, possibly KaVir.

However, remember that I am using "soft/hard" in the context of -do and -jutsu here. Again, my experience has been limited to Japanese styles that used the Japanese terms exclusively - -Jutsu implies a war form, a form whose intent is to kill or disable ones opponent through any means necessary. -Do implies a sport, a spiritual thing. Aiki-DO is beautiful. But it has weaknesses, and it lacks several Aiki-juJUTSU holds that can be devastating.

I think I was wrong in my intepretation of soft/hard as per -do/-jutsu. Probably was, in fact. However, my sensei - a kudan, mind you - does acknowledge the difference between the style he uses, Iaijutsu, from Iaido. I'll go out on a limb, and assume a kudan can possibly know what he is talking about. However, in my experience, the usage of 'soft/hard' has had only limited use. Apparently, I misunderstood their usage - but that does not weaken my point any. Unless, KaVir, you are claiming that it would be a _good thing_ to teach a kindergartener or 1st grader (For the US types)/6 year old the pin I described in my previous post? If so, then I must take up a vast issue with you there.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote