View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
Re: The inevitability of GUIs in text-based mudding

Many players will feel compelled to use a client that supports auto mapping. I don't think it improves their playing experience, it only improves their competitiveness, which can avalanche to a degree as seen in IRE muds where players are forced to use complex script, often purchased from other players, in order to win pvp fights.

Which I guess means that if you make combat too complex (typically convergent rather than divergent complexity) players will automate it. Most devs will avoid divergent complexity as they're afraid to lose control over game behavior. So to answer your question, add divergent complexity opposed to convergent complexity. This is typically accomplished by allowing various game elements to interact, rather than having them behave as separate entities with separate interfaces.

Regardless, providing data access through MSDP or GMCP is fairly easy and gives the playerbase something to do. The big question to me is if it's worth spending time building a UI for a text game that could be spend on something else, and I personally don't think so, especially as it's something that can be developed by players. IRE is probably the best example when it comes to encouraging player side client development as they've clearly documented their data interface.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote