Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Re: The First Five

> As a Player: Extending Game Time:
> At least 1-2 players or immortals online

I can go it alone as long as the mud is good enough and the help files are in order.

> Well written room, mob, and object descriptions

That always impresses me. Typos though are tolerated only in small amounts and if they're obviously due to someone illiterate...well that doesn't bode well.

> "Easter Eggs", if a room descriptions mentions something in brief, like "tracks through the mud" or something, and a "look tracks" brings up another quality description, I consider that gold.

Yeah that is fun but only when one gets deeper into the game. As a new player it has no appeal because one always wants to get going quickly and doing a lot of work typing l at jar on shelf is something I'll do on a mud I know is good, not one I'm trying out.

> Courteous welcome by the staff... not a big thing, but a "Hello *name*, welcome to *MUD Name*, I hope you enjoy your time here and if you have any questions or comments just use the *command name* and send us a message... good luck." Something like that shows the MUD is actively worked on, and that they feel confident enough in their work not to try and babysit you.

Actually that bugs me. Distractions are not helpful when brand new on a mud.

> News page, something that has been recently updated with the latest MUD updates.

Nah. I never read them unless I'm already a established player.

> Shortening Game Time:
> Over Complicated Character Creation, especially in original, semi-original IPs. It's one thing to have a long list of generic classes, (warrior, thief, shaman, necromancer, warlock etc...), where the general skills and perks are common knowledge among fantasy gamers but when there are 40 classes with names like (Dragon Slayer, Air Bender, Corpse Walker, T'sul'Kerak etc...) where I would have to spend an hour or two researching each one, drives me insane.

AMEN! I've seen a few like that and usually just end up picking human and some simple class so I can get going and see if I like the mud or not. It's good thing though once you get into it. Best bet is for the mud to recommend a simple choice right when it prompts you to pick. I appreciate that.

> Over use of Color

I can do without colour but then again that's how I started mudding.

> MUD Flood, too much stuff coming up on the screen at once really hurts my game play experience especially when it's trivial things like "EXP BONUS TIME!!!!!", or "WHO WANTS A COOKIE?!?!?!?".

That drives me nuts. Almost certain to drive me away unless I can very easily and quickly turn the jabber off.

> Over active Immortals... "Here, I'll teleport you to the mobs you can kill....", "Here have the greatest weapon in the game..."..."Here, *POOF*, now you're level 5 million..."

Haha I've experienced that. Let me say that it gave me a very low opinion of the mud and I never stayed at such a one. It is so DESPERATE as to make ya wanna upchuck.

> "Newbie" Equipment... can't we come up with a more original idea for starting equipment then "a pair of newbie shoes", "a newbie sword."

Sword and Cloak you mean? Hehe. Well it never bothered me. Free and fast and what new player cares yet. Later on sure it looks bad but as a new player it's not what I'm paying attention to.

> Lacking Help-files... It's a given that a MUD isn't going to have a help-file for every help request it gets but there should be a help-file for all of the muds key features like combat, healing, moving etc... or atleast a web address to a web based game manual.

Deadly. If I can't figure it out quickly and there's no one online to help it's splitsville.

> No direction... drop me into a pac-man game and I'll have no problem figuring out what to do, but in a large interactive world some direction would be nice. Within the first five minutes I should know how to earn some money, strengthen my character, and equip myself at the least.

Indeed.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote