View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
Slanted

Slanted is on a distinguished road
For me the hardest part has always been when you get out of the mud school. I often blunder around trying to figure out what commands my specific skillset uses and if I can't do it fast enough and nobody is willing to help, I usually just forget about the mud.

The problem with most MUD schools is that they are just too general. It is great to know how to get in and out of the MUD and what not to say IC'ly and all, but I want to be able to test out my new skills ASAP so I can use them in some functional way. It is hard to RP an apprentice smith when I can't even figure out the commands to put metal into a forge, or how to get metal for that matter.

What would be great is an initial mini quest for every major skillset that shows you the basic commands and basic locales in which to go in order to use your skillset. For a smith, send him to a mine and have him bring back some scrap iron to make into a spoon or something like that. Show him where he can pick up new basic skills.

most muds rely on players to tell you this, but I think that is not such a great idea. Sometimes it works out great, but sometimes, especially in smaller muds, nobody will help and that really discourages new play. Also, sometimes when they are willing to help, they move a lot faster than a newby can take in because they take their familiarity with the system for granted.

Anyway, less general tutorials, more specific tutorials = good.
Slanted is offline   Reply With Quote