View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Adelai

Adelai is on a distinguished road
I’m one who’d rather be able to guess than be told flat out, “My character is angry” or “My character is being flirty.” For me, it lessens the experience.

If someone says, “Kel’s eyes widen in fear” well then, there we go. She’s scared and the person playing Kel would quite often think you a fool if you mistook such eye-opening for surprise.  That not only limits the range of their character, but makes it harder for my character to have anything but the anticipated reaction, if that makes sense.

I don’t even think you have to suggest emotion flat out in words. Below are three reactions had by three different characters when a mutual enemy entered the room. (With thanks to Jal, Krinn and Ken’es for their permission :-) )

When Nalameya enters, Krinn says to her, “Get out.”

Ken’es drops to a crouch, one hand on the floor, the other reaching across her body to her sheathed dagger. As she stares at Nalameya, her ears flatten and her lips part to reveal her clenched teeth.

At Nalameya’s entrance Jal pauses in her spell and stares. Then she steps backward until her back is against the wall. When she reaches the wall she closes her eyes and hides her face from the elf.

Admittedly these reactions were a high point in the RP, which frequently included people gasping in surprise or frowning in thought, but I thought them good examples of not particularly archetype reactions which still convey the emotions. Chances are good Ken’es hates Nala, Jal’s afraid of her and Krinn has some non-flattering opinion as well, but other people in the room can determine that… or something else… for themselves.

As for ways to convey... I find hands to be the best. People toy with things when they're nervous, grip onto things when scared, gesture when they're talking, put a hand on the arm of someone they consider a friend or more. The same goes often for tails or moveable ears, if the race has them, stance, and a number of other things.

As always, just my $0.02
Adelai is offline   Reply With Quote