Thread: I'm So Pretty
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
lckychrmsrr

lckychrmsrr is on a distinguished road
I have played some "less than gorgeous characters" when I still played muds. I started off like most people do, with the best looking character I could think of and built no flaws into his personality. As I grew as a roleplayer, I learned that quirks and flaws make a character interesting and deep. The reason I think most players create good looking characters is because it is what most of the heros they read about and see look like. It feels natural to create good looking and beautiful characters. I feel its as simple as that.

The past few characters I've played have all been slightly below the ugly line IMHO. They almost always have a face that would be considered ugly by today's standards and none of them are bulky or even the commonly used "well muscled." I find this works well for me. If someone happens to actually read my character description, it is something interesting and unique instead of the standard bright eyed, pretty face hero type. I feel that its also less forced RP. When someone has in their description that they're the model of perfection, except for that one twisted ugly scar, its almost saying "Hey, you're supposed to ask about my scar!" While I am not saying there is anything wrong with people who do this, some of the best RPers I know do this, its not my style. I feel that if you don't have those blatant sores, scars, or tattoos if forces you to make your character more interesting through personality than that one deformity.

I have played two or three just straight grotesque characters as well. I found the experience to be highly fullfilling. I experienced a whole range of responses to my character's description. Not only did I create a good amout of RP though his description alone, but it made it easier for me to develop personality RP. There is a wide range of ways your character can feel and react to their own deformities and grotesqueness. I don't think that everyone could create a grotesque character and play it well however. This is why we need to beautiful to balance out the ugly and th emundane to keep everything in perspective.
lckychrmsrr is offline   Reply With Quote