View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Learning Programing

This is a question for all you MUD coding veterans out there.

I am not a coder by any stretch of the imagination. I have made some minor edits to some things other people have done, but mostly I just google whatever I am trying to do, and cut and paste, trial and error, until I can accomplish whatever I am trying to do. I have learned allot about being a builder over these last few months by tinkering with MUDs on my local machine, and going through the lessons over at tbaMUD, but I would like to step up my game at some point and start doing some coding.

I have heard it stated numerous times that working on a MUD is not a good place to start learning to code, and that one should have already learned to code before attempting to ply one's skills on a MUD. I have started some tutorials online, such as "Learn Python the Hard Way". I also have bought quite a few beginner programing books that I have been browsing. I have done all the "guess the number" type stuff that those newbie guides all seem to start you out with.

My question is, what should my next step be If my goal is to become a good enough coder to run my own MUD? I am not planning on building a MUD codebase from scratch at this point, but I would at least like to be knowledgeable enough to add features to an existing codebase.
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote