View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 09:49 PM   #5
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
Youngster with no money, hmm, sounds familiar and know your competition out there will be really great.

The simple question you posed does not have as simple an answer though with patience and skill you might be able get away with it cheaply.

There are really three parts to running your own world AFTER you chose the codebase style you are most familiar with as suggested earlier.

First, you need a machine to run the code on that will allow C programming in whichever version you prefer. Most do use Linux from what I've seen. Modifying a freeware codebase and making it unique or even just playable according to the code is not as easy as it sounds. This is Head Coder stuff.

Second, you need the ability to take the freeware world files of the codebase you selected and modify to suit your needs where you think it would be attractive and playable for others based on a long term plan. If you wish others to help you, then you should enable a way for them to update the world without entering the codebase itself (OLC). This is World Builder stuff.

Lastly, IF you get the coins to enable web access by mortal players, you should establish rules of ethics for immortal interaction with mortals. Immortal interaction among themselves and a hierarchy among themselves is important. Policies for the mortals, goals of the world, PK or !PK, Clans or Guilds, newbie assistance, crime and punishment, the list goes on and on. This is Administrator/Owner stuff.

Notice I said IF above. There are ways to get free support from a server if you are persistent but, unless you get a huge following for your world, I would suggest it will be minimum space. The biggest cost I've seen is the speed of the server your players will connect to. The faster the server the better the game play and loss of lag. Our t-3 recently was being serviced for around 15 hours and we dropped to a t-1 backup, sheesh the whines!
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote