View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 PM   #56
Cemm

Cemm is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure breaking the ranking lists into multiple lists would be a good idea.  Instead, I think revamping the options available during the game-adding process is in order.  

Adding an option that shows whether a game is pay-to-play or not and perhaps even making that option break into multiple categories akin to Kavir's suggestion of five varieties would definitely be a good thing.

Expanding the 'average players online' option to account for larger playerbases would be good as well.  DragonRealms and Gemstone III both average around 1000 players online, for instance.  

Also, I'd remove the option for any game to dissallow reviews.  Or possibly exclude any game that dissallows reviews here from the rankings list.  

Perhaps some secondary system for also showing a positive/neutral/negative tally of reviews on the main listing could be added to the ranking system?  Players could click on a button that declares their review a positive, neutral, or negative one.  I'm not sure that couldn't be abused by unethical admins and thier bought-off players too though.

My perspective is that if a game is proven to be making false or intentionally misleading statements and claims about itself, or has to go to such lengths to 'advertise' that it ends up skewing the results of a ranking list to the point that it is being made a mockery of, then it should be warned first (so that they can change their description and operate honestly) and then banned if it fails to do so in a reasonable amount of time.

Cemm