View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #39
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

Firstly I'm not singling it out, just staying on topic - because this thread is about botting. Secondly, my major concern isn't with botting being anti-competitive, but rather with it being anti-fun (by which I mean missing out on fun, not being unfun).

That's not to say botting can't also be fun in its own right (because I know some people enjoy writing bots more than they do playing muds), only that I don't like the idea of competitive players being forced to choose between "having fun" and "being competitive".

Right, but there is one very important distinction: Both players still play the mud, and don't have any incentive to skip content they would otherwise have enjoyed. They don't have to choose between "having fun" and "being competitive".

Imagine a mud where players can type "level up" to jump to the next level whenever they like. Now imagine adding that command to a PK mud which is targeted at highly competitive players. How many of those players do you think would fully explore each level of gameplay, and how many do you think would just skip right to the end - even if that earlier gameplay was something they'd have found entertaining and enjoyable?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote