View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 04:32 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
But to be equally blunt, so what?  You seem to imply that "hard" martial arts are somehow better than "soft" ones, when in my experience that's simply not the case (yes, I've fought in mixed-style tournaments, up to medium-contact - although I've witnessed numerous full-contact fights as well).  I tend to favour soft blocks coupled with hard attacks (eg a single-whip followed by an elbow to the face - or a palm-strike to the solar-plexus if I don't want to cause serious injury), but the two styles are generally inseparable - you need both in any martial art.

And yes, children should try to avoid many of the "hard" techniques while their bodies are still growing, or they can damage themselves; it's not about damaging others.  The soft techniques can be just as dangerous in that respect.

I trained in kung-fu (a mixture of styles) for 3 years and a sort of kickboxing/kung-fu hybrid style for 7 years (with a 1-year crossover - so a total of 9 years).  I started at the age of 12, and stopped at the age of 21 (when I left University).  I keep meaning to start again, but never get around to it.  The styles I learned consisted of a mixture of hard and soft techniques, including a number of moves which can kill or break bones (one that I always remember is a hard-block against a kick, with a follow-up that breaks both of your opponents legs!).  We also learned a few weapons, although the closest I came to a sword was the Boken.  I used to be quite good with Tonfa, though.

However to be fair my knowledge of Iaijutsu comes from a roleplaying game.  Learning how to kill someone as quickly as possible with a sword isn't a very useful skill in the real world, but it comes in very handy in a fantasy RPG - or a mud (I'm sure you're familiar with the "fastdraw" skill in GodWars).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote