View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #61
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Reasons to promote/discuss your MUD on TMS.

You might want to try occasionally posting without attacking or insulting someone. Just an idea.

I didn't treat anyone without respect. I made an honest evaluation of what I see from players. I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere, incidentally. I've been doing this professionally for over 11 years now.

The evidence shows that most players really don't care about MUDs in general - they care about THEIR MUD specifically. Take the case of TMC. It has been around forever. It is probably the most popular general MUD site on the net. It has clearly tried to cater to "the player" from the beginning. And what is the result? A forum that also lacks significant traffic - and certainly pales in comparison to the forum of even a modestly populated MUD.

The same was pretty much true back in the usenet days of rec.games.mud.* (man I miss usenet... such a better interface than web forums... but I digress). The majority of the traffic was developers or aspiring developers.

As a group, it is only developers, coders, builders, etc. who are interested enough in muds generally to actually participate in general forums like the ones here. The fact that TMS caters more towards mud operators is the major area where it distinguishes itself from TMC and actually justifies its existence as a separate site. Take that away, and it no longer has a USP.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote