View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
I would say that 'encouraged' emplies that the admin would prefer a certain amount of role playing, even if limited, as apposed to people doing nothing but chatting. Optional implies a disinterest as to if someone does or not.

Personally having to be one 100% of the time, except over one channel or in certain places would drive me totally nuts. The mud where I play (or played, since it has been down for over a month) encouraged specific types of things over the main chat channel, limited ghost and guild channels to only what was appropriate and requires the expenditure of Mana to use the general chat BS channel. However, it is also relaxed enough that anything not totally OOC can sometimes get dropped into a conversation on the non BS channels. There is usually quite a bit of traffic on both the OC and OOC channels despite the restrictions. Some of it consists of people screaming about moving the discussion to BS, but... lol

At least in the case of AoD, optional + encouraged is the same as saying that the admin would like to see more interplayer communication, but have not implemented a lot of major additions to the game that promote it. The irony from what I can see is that many RP muds need to force the RP rule, because merely creating a tavern some place in the game is rarely enough to promote interaction. Though, the party room on AoD does gain gatherings on occation and the 'newbie' area east of login is always crowded to during invasions, it being the closest 'safe' area where spells actually work to use for restoring protections, healing or ressing some poor fool that died in one round against a Drow High Priestess. lol

If you build it, they won't necessarilly come and that leads to 'requiring' RP, instead of merely leting players define the level they are comfortable with. It is this discrepency between what 'should' stimulate RP and the need to enforce its use do to the incentives not working quite as intended that has made me reluctant to log onto any of those that do require it.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote