View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Zenn

Name: Zenn
Home MUD: SW: Dark Nebulas
Zenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zenn Send a message via Yahoo to Zenn
Re: What happened to the EmpireMUD games?

EmpireMUD.

Imagine Age of Empires (the video game) with an RP aspect thrown in. Basically, you build up your empire or join someone else's -- typically the latter is better because it gives you access to resources you wouldn't have starting out with your own. You don't kill mobs for experience, but instead RP -- you're also allocated a certain amount of XP each day that you can use to buy skill points in broad areas that make available certain skills. It's really a fascinating game (based on CircleMUD) and I'm really surprised that none of those games last long. It seems, though, that the problem lately is not lasting, but actually attracting players in the first place to the games. I tried to run one for a while, but there just wasn't enough interest generated in it to make any difference, so I closed it down. With this game, though, "Running it" is about all you can do, unless you know how to play with Circle code. There's no building to do -- it's all an autogenerated map. Which is actually quite interesting. I would probably call this the easiest MUD codebase to run, once you get it running properly.
Zenn is offline   Reply With Quote