View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 03:28 AM   #17
Amaranthe

Amaranthe is on a distinguished road
Restringing items is fun, and our MUD has a highly limited subset of hand-picked characters that can do so with a limited scope of innocuous items (trash, clothing, food, miscellany) but I wouldn't truly consider that a "crafting system".

Also at least on our MUD, the ability to change items' appearance does in and of itself create a balance problem due to playerkilling issues. People assessing what other players are wearing is a factor in tactics, target-selection, choosing what to loot, and so forth. If people could change the descriptions of items wily nily it would have a definite impact on at least these aspects of the game.

If your MUD does not have playerkilling as an essential part of the game, then these concerns would be mitigated somewhat and a restringing system would be successful.

Though again I don't really consider that a "crafting system" so much as a "redecorating system". I think crafting involves aesthetics as well as aspects such as resource location and gathering, and designing the item's function.
Amaranthe is offline   Reply With Quote