Thread: $ Info, le Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 07:53 AM   #48
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Jazuela:
I didn't say players from p2p MUDs don't contribute. I said the p2p MUDs specifically do not contribute. The most I've seen, as I mentioned, was people who talked about ideas... and even then it was very scarce. You said it yourself, you switched to a free game. Once a part of a free game, then you contributed (and then, it was only to one MUD, but let's overlook that). Before that, what'd you contribute? Anything?

Molly:
That's my point specifically, Molly. They're in it to make money... I release my code, in an effort to help the community, as do many others. These p2p MUDs get free advertising here, and can garner potential players... thus more money. Yet, they don't help the community. They help their pockets. It would not kill them by any means to be upfront and honest about their game, on the rankings list. By doing so they may lose a few players. Darn. They still have plenty, and have a reason to stay open. By not doing so, they can 'kill' a free MUD that actually needs players. By 'killing' those free MUDs, they're eliminating people who might have contributed to the MUDding community at large... which, as you mentioned, they are unlikely to do. Someone who might have created the next evolution in MUDding may disappear, feeling they've wasted their time. Then again, they may have just caused a MUD to shut down that would have been a license violator.

By not making it clear in the most prominent place (the main ranking page) that they take payments, be it mandatory or not (this is not the same as donations... donations don't benefit the players directly, other than by keeping the MUD up and running and the server decent), they could potentially take players from MUDs that need those players as a reason to keep their MUD up. Yes, to an extent it does have to do with ego... people like to see a return for their efforts. The players enjoying the work created can be seen as a return on the creators work.

But, that's just my opinion.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote