View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Power Gamers

Hahahaha. That's funny.

Botting seems to be one of those universal no-nos. Are there any major games that allow botting? I know I sure wouldn't be interested in that. I don't want the skill/challenge focus to be on writing the best bot.

But getting back to Mina's original topic:

As a game designer, I think it is really easy to get sucked into obsessing over the results your powergamers generate. Their advancement speed, their ability to make money, etc. can look really gross to a developer, and entice them to implement nerfs to clamp down on it. The problem is, this tends to have only a minor effect on the powergamer (they find a new way to succeeed), while it can have a huge negative effect on normal players.

After a few cycles of this, your game can become extremely difficult on average players, or even worse, tedious.

I think this is a very hard temptation to resist, and you see new developers make this mistake repeatedly. MMOs made by a new developer almost always have this problem, because their devs don't bother to play other MMOs, and thus their lack of experience as player AND developer gets exposed.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote