View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm looking for a new home; RP enforced

GEAS fits here ->

Not really many races - human, elf (and darkelf as opt-out for the later "evil" style), human, halfling, dwarf. half-elves (hybrid of elf and human, naturally) Additionally, a race created by mages / magic, the tshaharks. And according to the initial draft, a catrace too but it was not really player added. So in short, 7 playable races.

Fits only to darkelf but it's rather difficult to play one successfully. Humans fit into it more easily as they are more flexible. Other than that, "dark races" are not prevalent. The style of the MUD focuses more on the good guys and heroes.

GEAS is class-less.

GEAS is level-less.

Note that "experience" exists in a way - due to the skill system, experience is channeled into the "strength" of a character. For instance, someone who picks a lot of locks will end up with higher dexterity attribute. Someone who mines a lot will more likely have "bulky, musculous arms". And so forth and so on.

Ok but... do you plan to roleplay as a warrior? Because there is no shortcut to that. You have to grind so that the skill raises in order to become a warrior - otherwise it would be unfair to other players who did so and become great warriors. By spending time in-game.

Well this is possible, though it might not be easy. You should give it a try and even when you don't like it, you can provide feedback to the game staff there to see what they can improve.

RP elements alone don't really work well to answer questions related to skill checks and combat situations, because you can not really RP defeats and victors that way, so you need some kind of coded mechanic in place. And the coded mechanic favours more easily those who invested more time into grinding in the first place.

GEAS has that, it requires a lot of training though so those who seek instant gratification may need to find that it requires a lot of time. It's a barrier, of course, but a wanted one, as otherwise magic would become something for every commoner to practice. A commodity - and that was not wanted.

GEAS does not have that.

GEAS does not need donations. But it requires people to give feedback.

In principle you can do that but I am a lazy guy myself: I mean, I don't need the MUD to give me aliases,
I use my clients. But you can use aliases defined in GEAS too. GEAS keeps the traditional telnet spirit alive.

GEAS has that. Of course you should, if you decide to play it, give things some time.
It has been easier to play back in 2002 than it is right now.

GEAS has colours.

Well, the grammar and style differs depending on the original builder of areas. Some came from Spain, some from the USA, others from Central Europe.

If you find typos simply use the 'report' command. These then will be fixed rather quickly usually.

For the most part, the grammar and style is ok.

Try it. And even if it is not for you, provide feedback why it was not for you - feedback helps them to improve.

I still play it, but not for its mechanics, there are some great roleplayers in the game and interacting with these can be a lot of fun (the rest of the game in as far as mechanics are concerned are a bonus, but not the reason I play - my main reason is for interacting with other players, be it friends or foes).
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote