Old 02-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Albus of HexOnyx

Home MUD: HexOnyx Mud
Home MUD: mud.hexonyx.com 7777
Home MUD: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HexOnyx/
Albus of HexOnyx is on a distinguished road
Re: How long do you build?

I still build

I built one newbie area for GrimneMUD called Quagmire in about 1993/4 (?)

Around the same time, I built Karameikos on HexOnyx and found a love for triggers! After that I started wearing admin hats and built smaller things like clan houses and annexes.

By the time I started the Harry Potter zone, I was an implementor but still wanted to do the area justice so the 900+ room zone was built with a team of three. My part was Muggle World / Diagon Alley, the Romanian Research Center and a good chunk of Hogwarts.)

Since the return of HexOnyx in 2014, I've been mostly been fixing or bringing back old areas and finishing abandoned ones. I revamped awesome (but underused) zones that either weren't getting enough use or needed to be made more current / playable. An example of this would be plot-quest zones that were designed for 25-man groups, which we haven't had since the 90's.

My favorite kind of building now is using up the empty space in a zone to fill a playerbase need or void. (xp, gold, gap-gear...). An example would be Goblinoid Warships; which is about a 20-room area off the coast Ak-Buhen (an 80-room zone that Toll built). The area is in the past, so I wanted to continue it into the present. This brings me to my current project when I get the chance: The goblinoid warships have failed in battle long ago and are at the bottom of the sea... which is now a great new habitat for the Sahuagin!. I haven't quite worked out how I'll bring them into the future, but there's no rush As an implementor, I know that we have eq-gaps that need to be filled and a 20-room annex is the perfect way to put 1 gap item into the game without being too overwhelming of a project.

So basically, I'm a sentimental builder and don't like seeing great areas go unfinished or underused
Albus of HexOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote