View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 02:07 PM   #5
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
My first Real leap into the mudding world was when I created a mud based on a short story for my Science Fiction class in High school. My teacher used to us chat rooms, and have people talk to each other 'in character' so I took it a step further.

It was a stock Diku with one area, and a lot of 'scenes'. Pretty much you progressed through the story by going to the next room. But we had some mob scripts that made the mobiles talk to the players, and so you could ask them specific questions.

The idea of using a mud as a virtual meeting place, a virtual classroom, is old. There are many papers on the subject, many extrapolated from Virtual Community type papers. But here is my thought, the effort going into making one of these is not worth the pay-off unless it is set in stone to be a long running system. It took us all semester to duplicate the scenes from one short story (30 or so pages). And we spent a lot of time on it. (20-30 hrs/wk).

So I wish you luck if you work on it, and I look foward to the results.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote