View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

I use zMUD at the moment, because it has (so far) won out on the ability to script. I think the class structure and multistate triggers make for very flexible and easy scripting, and while zScript isn't what I would prefer in a language, it can do just about everything you need. It also has the equivalent of array and associative array variables, and that too is powerful, though I'm sure that Lua has the appropriate equivalents. But one of the advantages of the way z/CMUD has done it is that the "data space" is independent of the scripting engine, which allows data to be shared no matter whether Lua or zScript is used. The mapper (while I no longer use it much, as I MUSH almost exclusively where it isn't all that important) is unequaled.

CMUD adds in Lua integration while keeping the z/CMUD variable types, but I haven't switched yet because I don't feel like converting what I need to, and to figure out how to get the packaging system to work like I need.

But as for the above, in z/CMUD anything you get from the MUD can be edited for content and colors, and whatever you change it to is passed along to other triggers, so yes, you can change incoming data, maybe not down to the packet level (though z/CMUD lets you make ANSI triggers that see the escape sequences, and CMUD has ATCP triggers, I think). You can also make up output yourself, which also gets passed through the other triggers.

I once wrote a system for Into the Black's HSpace system, which would totally autopilot a trip from launch to landing, following the waypoints, course correcting, and jumping. This was done by interpreting the "head's up display" output.

On the horizon, though is something called , which I am following with great interest.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote