View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #45
imported_Synozeer

imported_Synozeer is on a distinguished road
While it is okay for it to be run entirely by players, it should not be promoted by the muds themselves. Posting the voting code in a public forum wasn't the best move when trying to make people vote legitimately.

On another note, some think it would be "easy" to prevent these scripts from working. That's incorrect. Here's why:

1. I'm not a programmer (I dabble with coding, that's all).

2. New scripting changing will come out to defeat the safeguards I would have put in place, thus forcing me to constantly tweak the code, run tests, do research, etc. I simply don't have the time for this.

3. I can have a say on how the muds work with voting, but I don't have a say with the players.

Remember when I made the ruling a while back that muds couldn't offer incentives? One of my hesitations was that it was going to require a lot more of my time to police. You guessed it, it does, and I find that I don't have the time (or inclination) to spend X hours a week researching accusations. That's why I do nothing about it anymore unless I'm sent proof, links, logs, etc. I allow those making the accusations to do the research rather than I. Helps weed out the large amount of "I know they're cheating - there is no way they could get that many votes" emails that I get.

Adam
imported_Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote