Thread: Hack n Slash
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 05:08 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
IMO the most important part of a HnS mud is gameplay. An RP mud typically focuses on player interaction, with the game itself providing props to that end - but within a good HnS mud, the gameplay is key, to the point that it should be fun even without players (in this respect I consider Diablo to be a good example of a HnS game). It is possible to have a perfectly good roleplaying mud with very little in the way of coded support - but the same is not true of a HnS. On the flip side, it is possible to have a perfectly good HnS mud without any theme or background story, which is not true of an RP mud. That doesn't mean that an RP mud won't benefit from coded support, or that a HnS mud won't benefit from a well-developed and consistent game world, only that the priorities tend to shift.

Thus for me, the most important part of a HnS is that it should be fun, with plenty of automated activities to keep me occupied. I want a fully playable game which is fun in its own right, where other players improve the experience but aren't required for it.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote