View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #425
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

No. I'm saying that we should comment on reality, not the wishful thinking that admin policy often represents.

It is in some, it isn't in others. In ours, for instance, it's not common due to in-game mechanics, but in any game where value is attached to things, it will eventually happen.

Your guess is incorrect. I've seen it happen multiple times.

It's simple really: If something has value, someone will eventually want to pay for it. If nothing in a MUD has value to anyone, it's a bad MUD.

All hobbyist (I assume that's what you mean by free) MUDs have the same culture? I think not. In any case, you're simply wrong in making a blanket statement that way and I don't think YOU believe it either.

You recently, for instance, accused Threshold of buying something from another player, with the implication that it was on a hobbyist MUD. You had no evidence of course, but nevertheless if it doesn't happen why would you accuse him of it?

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm pointing out that if the concern is actually to provide players with information about the state of affairs it is inherently deceitful to equate admin policy with what actually goes on. The two are not the same thing.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote