View Single Post
Old 11-03-2002, 11:39 AM   #4
jornel

jornel is on a distinguished road
The B resets are designed to allow you to either set, reset, or toggle bits in either:

- The exit_info of a door
- The room_flags of a room
- The extra_flags of an object
- The affected_by of a mob

Whether you want or need this level of control seems to be up to you.  (I think 99.5% of cases don't need this degree of control).  But who knows, when you are making an automated quest and you want to kill every possible player exploit/abuse, then such control seems worthwhile.

Say you want a bolted door.  A player unbolts the door and then quits.  When the area resets, the B reset would rebolt the door.

Say you wanted an invisible sentinel mob.  A player casts dispel magic and then flees without killing the mob.  That mob would remain visible forever until someone killed it.  The B reset could re-apply the "AFF_INVISIBLE" bit.

Say you wanted a buried treasure.  Someone digs it up, but doesn't take it.  The B reset could re-apply the "ITEM_BURIED" bit.

I admit, these examples may seem strained, but I know from experience that sometimes a builder wants or needs things to be 'just so' and gets frustrated when SMAUG's default actions don't quite do what is wanted.  For this reason, I would recommend leaving the capability of doing 'B' resets intact.  Besides, removing it doesn't save you anything.
jornel is offline   Reply With Quote