View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I really enjoy a good RP game, but I find that I can play on very few of the RP games that are available.

For one thing, I hate pose order and for another I hate long winded speeches or even short speeches if it takes too long to develop. I like RP be to fast paced and exciting. When people emote, pose, say .... whatever in a sentence or two they can normally keep the pace moving, but as soon as someone starts to write a paragraph each time they need to do something, the pacing just dies.

I also dislike having to emote every time I walk through a room another character is in. Sometimes I just want to go from point A to point B. And what's worse is when I'm expected to wait for a response and it turns out the person I'm waiting for went out for a pizza and just decided to stay logged into the game.

I really dislike having to submit a character concept before I can get into a game. I just stopped even trying to play those types of game. I have never found one that was worth the time and if you are going to make me wait a week before I can even log in, well, it better be a friggin' awesome game and I just haven't seen it.

I like OOC in a game. Its a game after all and some times I like to BS. I prefer OOC to be on its own channel that can be turned on/off at will and I don't spend time on games that try to block OOC.

I also like numbers. I'm offended by roleplayers who think that if I know what my AC value is or how much damage my sword does or how many hitpoints I have it makes me unable to roleplay. If anything I believe the opposite is true. Numbers allow a player to quantify the effect of a situation or object and then it's up to the player to convey that information in IC terms. Without numbers its just vague guesswork based on vague descriptions.

And lastly, I hate it when players tell you stuff about their character and then complain when you mention it in game, because they told you OOC. I'm all for keeping IC and OOC separate, but if you shot your mouth off about your plains to assassinate someone in game don't cry when your target hears about it and starts to prepare for the attack. This leads to the dreaded "let's null that RP" What the heck is that - a do over? If you are a plotter in game, keep your secrets to yourself.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote