View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

Some other things I find annoying about RP games.

The number of players don't support the number of rooms. If the game has 10-15 players but over 15,000 rooms it makes it hard to randomly wander into someone for RP. You could of course hang out at the main RP point (which seems to be a tavern in most games) and wait for others to wander it because they know it is the "hot spot", but then you have idle time when you are just waiting. I'd rather grind than sit and wait, and I hate grinding.

Also, it seems that many RP games don't have coded activities for the player, so if there aren't other players on line you are stuck with nothing to do until someone logs in.

These two things are compounded when the game doesn't give any indicators of the number of players active on line. I can't tell if I can't find someone to RP with because there is no one else on line, or if I'm in city A and everyone else is in City B.

BTW, I only play rp encouraged/enforced muds. I don't play RPIs (at least those that go by the strict definition of RPI) or Mushes, but can understand why some people might like them. They just aren't for me, which is a shame as I've seen some very good settings come out of the RPI/Mush community.

I agree completely with earlier comments that basically said to not try to change an existing game to fit your idea of RP.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote