View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 08:03 PM   #40
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

Yup, and if you'll look back at my post over there, I also recommended C =).

Our principles are fundamentally different. I believe in free choice of language features, even if it's possible that someone may not choose wisely. I say this because ultimately your language is more powerful. I approach this from the standpoint of an individual: I don't want anybody restricting what I can do with a language, and if I want write a large project in it, the responsibility for enforcement of my practices falls on my own shoulders.

You believe that we should specifically tailor languages so that the general quality of code that the lowest-common-denominator (I think?) writes will be as high as possible. This means either restricting common pitfalls or making it impossible to be caught in them. I agree that C++ does a rather poor job as the latter, but I think this is mainly because it was designed to be backwards-compatible with C,

As you can see, excepting where certain pitfalls be made harder to fall into, these principles do not overlap. In fact, they are mutually exclusive if there are any features that the second school wishes to restrict.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote