View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: The 7th Plane Awaits You...

So, this is my first post on tms; in fact I registered to post on this topic specifically. I've been reading the forums for a while and find that many muds who claim to be "original" or to have "unique features", etc. are in fact not as unique as they'd have you believe.

Essentially, I wanted to post to say that for once the claim is true; 7th plane is a really quite unique godwars derivative. I'm going to list both things I like and dislike about it; I think that it's better to try to be neutral so prospective players can decide if it's worth their time or not. Essentially, I'm doing what I like to see: providing a hopefully unbiased review-of-sorts to help people decide. As I am more likely to bother logging into a mud which has posts like this, giving both the good and the bad, such that I can decide if the good outweighs the bad, I here endeavor to do the same.

So now that the disclaimer is out of the way:

the good:
Of the two classes I've played (mage and werewolf), both have been original. Class progression isn't level-based, and is semi-realistic. Mages have to practice spells to 100% through use (every 4 gives another point of int), thus allowing more spells; after this, mages can craft sigils, runes, and glyphs, which when combined cast new spells while consuming some of each. Finally, one can become an archmage who can speak the runes (via say) to cast seven more unique spells, including world-ranged spells that can target anything.
Werewolves, possibly less complex, possibly not, are kind of a more straitforward warrior class. I've not played enough yet to say what kind of upper-end abilities they can do, but unlike mages, they're not listed in help files for all to see. Essentially, werewolf is a quest-based class; one uses one's abilities enough and then fulfills a certain condition (kill mobs in a field area, kill mobs while the moon is out) until one's guardian spirit appears in the umbra (more on this below).

Some other good things besides classes:
-There is a crafting system. It's not the most original, but it is unique enough to be worth a mention (especially considering how few places make it an integral part of gameplay). Mages can craft runes, glyphs, and sigils, needed for spells. Pretty much all high-end eq is crafted, and materials are readily available.
-all weapons have specials: swords cut off limbs, staves discharge mana. These are random, but it does add an extra level of fun.
-descriptions of skill use are really well-done. The first time I used skin, i actually flinched, tree chopping, trimming, and sawing are less original. Essentially, every round, a description is selected, such that you're not seeing "You continue smelting..." or the like.
-The imms are active, if sometimes slow to respond. As the imms work and appear to be on sometimes during work, This is actually impressive. The mud is under active development, the mage rewrite being released a bit over a week ago (just before I started).

So finally, the bad points. Every mud has these, and I think it's better to list them rather than hide them:

-No death penalty. This can be either a good thing or a bad thing acording to your outlook and isn't an overly big deal, but death does not have consequences, most times. It's possible to have consequences, but only in pk or special circumstances (I've never encountered either of these things). Essentially, this eases exploring, but makes being careful pointless, in a way. You don't even lose items on death, unless they're unclaimed, but as most eq is crafted and crafted eq is always claimed by the crafter, this isn't really much of a death deterrent.
-There's no auction system. Essentially, you currently have to pay to give some eq to someone else, and given the way the mud works (no level restrictions or levels for that matter), this is kind of needed for balance. Still, if nothing else, a material exchange or somesuch would be nice. This is in the works, I've heard, so will probably be changed in the near future.

And finally (as this post is getting long), a few things which can be either good or bad, depending on my mood:

-Rooms don't usually have descs. Essentially, there's a room title and exits, with only important rooms having descs of any sort (usually to warn of a deathtrap or similar). I actually like this, but many don't, so.
-As mentioned above, the death penalty.
-A small number of players. Usually, there's 5 on, sometimes up to 10. In my opinion, the mud needs more players, as all muds do, but smaller playerbase is sometimes a good thing.

In short, 7th plane is original, and probably worth checking out. And thanks to anyone who read this far as this is actually quite lengthy.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote