View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Love of Small MU*s

It also depends on the size of the world, and the nature of the interactions. If there are multiple places for a character to first show up (different cities on the same continent, and different continents on the same planet), people are probably not going to be attracted to a "small" playerbase, game-wide. Small, meaning practically empty. If you could spend 4 RL days wandering from one end of the game world to the other and never run into another PC, eh...might as well play Sim City or Zork.

Also, unless specified KaVir, I would never include graphics RPGs in any discussion about MUDs. I would assume the OP meant specifically text-based interactive online multi-player games of one sort or another, whether MUD code, or DIKU, MOO, MUSH, ROM, Godwars, etc. So your comment about that anime graphics game, to me, is akin to comparing a MUD to a shoot-em-up game at an arcade where two buddies can put a couple of quarters into a machine and take turns making the little duckies go pop on the spinning wheel. Both are fun. Both are interactive. Both are games, both are multi-player, both involve a bit of thought, both are stationary, and both are available online. But they are nothing alike and there is no practical comparison.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote