Thread: MUD Addiction
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
As a player I'd most certainly take offense to any admin trying to tell me when I could and could not play. It would definitely make me leave that mud, since it would be really condescending, and also an intrusion in my private life and free choice.

I tend to play in spurts, sometimes staying online  almost around the clock, when there is some particular goal I want to reach, (usually to solve some tricky puzzle or quest). Also on occasions when I have unlimited free time, I sometimes play a lot. But only sometimes. At other times I might just log on for some minutes a day, to socialize with friends, and this passive mode can go on for weeks, because I have more interesting things to do off line.

But it's my choice, based on my conditions and my mood, and who would know about those better than me?

However, in one of the muds I play, I have sometimes seen the imms telling players to quit, but in a sort of joking, friendly manner. They'll say things over open channels like; 'Boffo, you really should go to bed now', or 'Buffo, shouldn't you be studying for those exams? Do you want me to DC you to make it easier?'

But I put this down to the mud being a very 'social' one, where the imms seem to care a bit more than usual about their players. I've never seen anything similar in any other mud, and relations like this are probably only possible if the playerbase is relatively small.

And by the way, I totally agree with Valg that there are a lot of worse things than a mud that kids could get exposed to on the internet, and in the Real world too for that matter
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote