View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #109
AshtonEndal

AshtonEndal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AshtonEndal Send a message via MSN to AshtonEndal Send a message via Yahoo to AshtonEndal
The two best combat systems I have ever seen are in the Legends of Terris and the (now gone) game Drag(*)nBallZ (fe).

Terris has a skill system that is very unique, and one of it's features that it is awesome and known for is it's combat skill trees. There are about 5 or 6 skills that will aid you in combat (not including the four different fighting styles) Then you have three choices durring combat: Attack, Aim, and Charge. Attack is generic, Aim requires the skill "Called Shot" which will increase the damage at an accuracy loss (that is almost unnoticable), and Charge is for mounted fighters (naturaly). The other nice thing is that unless you are using a missile weapon, you have to advance the opponent (or charge on a mount) or they can advance you to start combat. Everything is based off of a D&D Dice system that you can view the weapons and spell statistics that are working for/against you in this.

Drag(*)nBallZ (fe) was the most advanced combat system because you could block (if you timed it right) attacks that were coming in at you, the attacks were very simple, punches and kicks along with a few energy attacks, but all could be blocked and all could be countered.

While the DragonBall game is down, Terris is still up and running strong (10 years strong). It was on AOL for more than 5 years before breaking off and going for a solo career on the web. It does cost to play though (but the first 15 plays are free). I suggest it if you want to try to check out a great system (And I only covered the combat, wait till you see the quests, monsters, areas, secrets, guilds, temples, houses, and a whole lot more).
AshtonEndal is offline   Reply With Quote