View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #153
shander

shander is on a distinguished road
Yes, I think your points on the balance on complexity and speed is right on both in terms of generating excitement and or turning a whole supposedly role immersal environment into a challenge of reflexes.

Your bring up a point with the 'prone" issue that helps me express something.

A highly skilled knight should know get up if it falls, and a human running a knight should really need to gag it from getting up.

Without some scripting the thing decays for me. Giving a adept speed player an edge is one thing but I'd think it should be fairly simple to be able to play at 70% of potential.

A good User Interface goes a long way with that sort of thing in "video games" or WoW type graphical games.

Similarly I think your point on the complexity brings up another issue, Complexity and no-intuitive combinations really still tend to be "knowledge" based while I think a good combat system might bring in more "connect four" issues rather than discovery. Even if connect four is a "solved" game, the level of computer knowledge to make scripting highly advantageous and the mistakes until perfecting a code would be long enough so to only be a huge issue if you wanted to keep the system static for many years and those that cracked it , shared (and a file was copied an copied) so that lots of newer players could arrive at perfection without the costs of the learning curve.
shander is offline   Reply With Quote