View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road
Re: "Planned" RP or Pure Immersion?

It should also be noted that Tabletop Gaming has, since 2000, been steadily declining in the face of graphical games--which have been enjoying a steady increase in user participation since then.

Another factor that goes against Tabletop gaming is what 'version' (Generatio) of said game is being used, as there are players who will favor one over the other--which can generate heated arguements over which is better.

As I see it, the negative aspects of Role Playing come from the fact that players have to 'work' at getting their characters 'up there', where as in video games the character comes with the wonderful skills as their base--and needs to build on them during the course of the Game. Another factor is with the video game, they player follows a predetermined path towards the items their character needs where as in RP the player needs to deal with another player who can very easily jerk them around as much as they like and never give them what they want--very much like a game I used to play.

I see this as lacking the paticence to work their way through, and having to deal with people with no concept, or care, of how much harm they cause by tying up a player for their sole amusement. It's just so much more easier to drop the disk into a machine, and press the buttons at the right time.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote