View Single Post
Old 04-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #4
tjs102

tjs102 is on a distinguished road
Question

RPG has a pretty broad definition. Arguably, you could say my first RPing experience was playing Adventure on the 2600, as I assumed the role a box-shaped knight, armed myself with a pointer, and ventured of in search of some magical chalice (or a magic dot).

But I count my first RPing experience as playing Dungeons and Dragons. It was the early 80s, I guess, and was a goofy little fourth grader at the time, and a friend of mine got me really excited about the whole concept of RPing. Soon enough, I was Saurton Armen, Dwarvem Cleric of Thor, and we were staying up all night adventuring and RPing as best we could for our age and maturity. (We had laser crossbows, a la the D&D cartoon okay? No, I'm not proud of that!)

I was also into those PC games, both graphical (Ultima, Transylvania, King's Quest, Space Ace, Leisure Suit Larry) and text-based (Planetfall, Hitchhiker's Guide).

In high school, I dabbled in D&D some more, as well as TMNT (I had a porcupine!), Heroes Unlimited, and a couple others I don't remember the name of.

Onto college, I was out of the RPing loop until one day, (around 1994 or 95?), a friend told me that you could RP online in something called a MUD. I was intrigued by the concept, but my school didn't allow that kind of activity and would block any attempts to get into MUDs, chatrooms, etc.

So I bought my first modem and signed on with GEnie. And there I spent lots of time and money playing Dragon's Gate. I also dabbled with Gemstone III, Modus Operandi, and Dragon Realms, as well as some of the free MUDs, but today, I am a DGater through and through, having followed it happily from GEnie to AOL to its current home on the Net. I do, on the odd occassion, do some more table-based RPing, mostly D&D and Star Wars.

I consider myself fairly experienced, and have played a fairly diverse range of classes, races, religions, and genders (well, two genders).

I have yet to play roll up and play a true villain, however, and I greatly admire people who CAN pull off a convincing villian -- and I don't mean just a character who beats the tar out of someone else because he or she can.

- T.
edit: Bad emoticons! Bad bad bad!
tjs102 is offline   Reply With Quote