View Single Post
Old 04-18-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I'm Brody, also known in the real world as Wes Platt. I'm the creator of OtherSpace, an interactive science fiction saga built within a PennMUSH hardcode architecture.

With Synozeer's encouragement, I agreed to moderate this particular forum at Top MUD Sites, and I enjoy the discussions here quite a bit.

I've been roleplaying since I was a kid (haven't we all?). But back when I was a kid, we didn't have Nintendo or Gamebox. We had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow, without shoes, with concrete blocks tied around our ankles, yadayadayada.

Actually, it wasn't THAT bad in the 1970s and 1980s - we did have Atari (yes, I played Pong and thought it amusing), we had a Beta videocassette player (I watched Star Wars on Beta about 300 times - yes, pathetic), and I had the original little brown books from the early Dungeons & Dragons tabletop roleplaying (my stepfather, BTW, was the first gaming twink I ever met! I was running a scenario around a castle I'd built, and he tried attacking with his evil lord on a previously non-existent giant slug he used as a pack animal).

I played Infocom text adventures on an IBM PC clone, then got into the Ultima and Wizardry graphic adventures. In the late 1980s, I got involved with my first local bulletin board service, running an interactive story on a message board with a handful of people.

In 1994, as the Internet started taking off, I began playing on MUDs - mostly the stock games with the Smurf Village or Midgaard. A year after that, I started playing on TOS TrekMUSE, a game set in the era of the original Star Trek series with a heavy emphasis on roleplaying. I also played at Hemlock, an original-theme science fiction game, also with a heavy RP emphasis.

In 1998, I decided to start OtherSpace - and I've pretty much been there ever since. It has been my policy not just to create the world and run it, but to actively participate in it as a player as often as possible. As we've grown, this has become increasingly difficult, but I still manage to keep a few characters active in the storylines.

So, that's my story - the short version, at least.

What's yours?

BTW, this is one of those times when you can feel free to pipe up about your favorite RP hangouts, so long as it's in the context of sharing your RP experiences.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote