View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #12
LegioN

LegioN is on a distinguished road
I don't believe that Mu* will ever "go away" they will simply evolve. I believe at some point many of them will be turned into graphical games using NWN like modules.

As far as the state of muds today. I've played
Muds since late 1999 and I've noticed a definite decline in the amount of players on all of my favorite muds. I'm not sure if that is because there are so many Muds out there that the proverbial waters have been diluted down to nothing, or because there simply aren't as many players as there once were.

The mud I'm an immortal on has been struggling with the issue of player retention for about 3.5 - 4 years now. It went from a fairly active playerbase of 15-30 during peak hours to being lucky to have 2 or 3 on at any one time. It is not stagnant because new areas, guilds, "stuff" is being added and tweaked all the time but the players are simply not there.

Granted I'm far from an expert but I've noticed dwindling numbers on other muds as well. Many people shrug their shoulders and say "Muds aren't going anywhere, stop worrying" and I agree with, but maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe there are simply to many muds?
LegioN is offline   Reply With Quote