DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
How to respond to this?

Time is not money to all people. I provide a lot of my services for free, as do many many things in this world. While time may be money for a business man, what percentage of people who MUD are business men, compared to the % that are either working class or still in highschool or college? Time is not always money to the players, and to say that it is, and that IRE is giving them a gift by requiring money to be spent instead of time used is absolutely insane. Most people who spend money in such games do not do it because "time is money", but because it is easier and required for success in competition.

You disagree with my rant about PvP, but do not really counter-argument it. If you want a list of MUDs where skill is more important than stats, ask me; I'll give it to you. If you want a list of MUDs that utilize truly level-less systems; I'll give it to you. You cannot claim that IRE PvP relies more on ability than credit-bought skills, as you cannot even master that many skills without obtaining credits. PvP MUDs that don't care about level playing fields are never preferred to most PKers, whether its cash-credits being necessary for advancement, unbalanced classes, staff/player cheating, rampant bug abuse, or anything else of the like.

Absolutely not. There have been so many extremely wonderful 100% free MUDs it is ridiculous. This comment is so extremely demeaning to the community as a whole - after saying things like this, is it any wonder many people get a bad taste in their mouth when they think about Midievia or IRE? I've worked on both commercial and non-commercial MUDs, and I have nothing against the commercial setup(unless it is misleadingly advertised to make it look 100% free). However, to say that there have been no 100% free MUDs worth playing, ever, is ... yeah, what I said before; insulting. I'll avoid going further than saying 'shame on you', as flame wars are never fun, and this topic seems to teeter that way anyways.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote